Friday 17 November 2017

Firesweep - Tethys Ultima


Planet: Tethys Ultima.
Region: Ghoul Stars.
Date: 905.M41

Death Guard vs Necrons.
1500 points.
Mission: Firesweep - Nightfight battle zone.

This was a major battle between the Death Guard and the now awakened Necron dynasty on the world of Tethys Ultima. The two armies fought a series of engagements among the ancient ruins that dotted the surrounding desert. Neither side were prepared to give any ground and as the battle dragged on casualties mounted on both sides.

My first match against the Necrons under 8th. I had actually expected Mark to bring either his Black Legion or Thousand Sons so I was pleasantly surprised to see a host of Necron warriors arrayed against me. He had chosen the Firesweep mission as something different and picked Night Fight as our battlezone. I got the pick of table quarter and Mark set up first. He complete deployment before myself and chose to take the first turn.

Straight off the bat the game was in Mark's hands. He was able to secure a perfect alpha strike. First turn and he obliterated my twenty poxwalkers and the deathshroud terminators that guarded Typhus. My usual good luck with DR rolls had flown out the window and I couldn't save them. This set the tone for the rest of the game. My first turn was spent trying to get closer and taking what shots I could. At this range my psychic phase was unnecessary.

Turn two and we were right on top of one another. Mark continued to pour everything he had into me. I lost a few plague marines, a unit of cultists and me stripped a fair few wounds from my rhino. Come my turn and I could see where the game was going. Both Typhus and my Plaguecaster suffered perils of the warp even with the use of a command point. Typhus almost killed himself doing so. I managed to get into combat though and Typhus cut down many warriors and the bloat drone didn't do to badly either.

Over the next turn and a half Mark tore everything I had down. The game ended turn four with my losing my entire army. Due to reanimation protocols and living metal Mark still had the majority of his army intact. In fact, I think I only managed to take out a single warriors squad. Another frustrating but fun game.

---

I will be honest. I genuinely thought that a proper 8th edition codex would have no trouble taking out an army still using an Index army list. I was proved wrong much to my surprise. I can remember being frustrated by Necrons under previous editions and if they continue like this I think I will remain being frustrated.

Night fighting played little role in this game for me at least. Mark was so good with his dice rolls that the penalties were ineffective. Mysterious objectives also proved pointless as none of those rolls played a part in the game.

---


++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Death Guard) [84 PL, 1498pts] ++

+ HQ +

Malignant Plaguecaster [6 PL, 110pts]: Curse of the Leper, Plague Wind, The Pandemic Staff
Typhus [9 PL, 175pts]: Miasma of Pestilence, Putrescent Vitality

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [6 PL, 52pts]
. 10x Chaos Cultist w/ autopistol and brutal assault weapon
. Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Heavy stubber
. Cultist Champion: Shotgun

Plague Marines [13 PL, 201pts]: Icon of Despair
. Plague Champion: Plaguesword, Plasma gun, Power fist
. 6x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Plague Marines [10 PL, 182pts]: Icon of Despair
. Plague Champion: Plaguesword, Plasma gun, Power fist
. 5x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 120pts]: 20x Poxwalker

+ Elites +

Deathshroud Terminators [11 PL, 225pts]
. Deathshroud Champion: Manreaper, Plaguespurt gauntlets
. 2x Deathshroud Terminator: 2x Manreaper, 2x Plaguespurt gauntlets

+ Fast Attack +

Foetid Bloat-drone [8 PL, 158pts]: 2x Plaguespitters, Plague probe

+ Heavy Support +

Defiler [11 PL, 190pts]: Combi-flamer, Defiler scourge, Reaper autocannon.

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 85pts]: Combi-bolter, Combi-bolter, Havoc launcher


Necron warriors advance through the nighttime war zone.

The Necrons hide behind ruined walls and pour fire down upon my plague marines.

Typhus battles the unliving machines.

Center of the battlefield.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...