Wednesday 14 March 2018

Battle for Site 2212 - Sanctum

Planet: Sanctum.
Region: Xenobian sector.

Death Guard vs Drukhari / Craftworld Saim-Hann.
1500 points.
Mission: Deadlock.
Deployment: Spearhead Assault.

The battle for Site 2212 was a major battle for the Death Guard as they fought to breach the Aeldari defences and reach their desired targets. There had been many minor engagements, skirmishes really, since the Death Guard landed nearly two months ago but this was the first to field significant numbers. The surprise came when it was revealed that the Aeldari had brought forth Drukhari mercenaries to aid in driving off the favoured sons of Nurgle.

This match was against another new player to the club Charlie. We picked a simple mission from my list ahead of time and set to building out lists. I had thought that Charlie played Blood Angels so I was surprised to see a combined Drukhari and Saim-Hann list deployed before me.

A fair bit of Charlie's army was deployed in transports or was flying above the battlefield. I was perhaps a bit too cautious and deployed quite far back into my deployment zone or as in the case of Typhus and his ground forces right behind a wall. The Aeldari got the first turn and I failed to seize the initiative as usual.

The flyer detachment zoomed in and with a lot of massed fire destroyed my plague drone, thus earning first blood. From what I recall the rest of his shooting was not very effective. I lost a few wounds from the plagueburst crawler as I recall but this was a time in the game where I was making a lot of my disgustingly resilient rolls. This is me though and that luck petered out as the game went along. I think Charlie scored two of his tactical objectives putting him on three victory points at the end of the first turn.

My first turn and I think I was still being cautious. Previous experience against the Aeldari has made me so I think. I didn't move up very much but I had some easy to achieve tactical objectives. My shooting caused some damage to the flyers but I was mostly pleased with a direct hit from the plagueburst mortar which destroyed a venom in one shot! My first turn and I did well to score four objective cards.

As the game progressed I couldn't get too far up the table as the Aeldari shooting was rather accurate. I was soon able to down the planes and a fair few number of his Drukhari infantry. I felt for that poor warrior who stood his ground against a rampaging chaos spawn before it tore him limb from limb! Sadly the spawn didn't last much longer afterwards. We both started to lose a lot of what we had remaining on the table. I forget exactly now after nearly a week, what dropped what but I remember my cultists being rather stubborn and not running, dying to the last man.

Towards the end of the game Charlie was able to access a webway portal behind my lines and dropped some wytches. The Scourges dropped down too, massacring my cultists and then assaulting the crawler. They soon died to that though. The wytches slaughtered there way through my plague marines, a killing that I had not expected. My DR rolls hard failed me.

The game ended turn 5 and neither of us had much left to gather our dead. We counted up the victory points and the game was a draw. A couple hours later I realized that I had had a tactical objective that gave me a victory point if Typhus survived the game so in theory I won but I can't in good conscious include it as if I didn't remember at the time then tough. A draw was still a good result and one I was happy with. A very enjoyable game.

---

After thoughts...

A very good fun game. Not nearly as tough as I had expected considering what I am used to with the Aeldari. Charlie was a good casual opponent and I am looking forward to a nice rematch in the near future.

---

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Death Guard) [76 PL, 1321pts] ++

+ HQ +

Malignant Plaguecaster [6 PL, 110pts]: 1. Miasma of Pestilence, 6. Curse of the Leper, The Pandemic Staff

Typhus [9 PL, 175pts]: 4. Blades of Putrefaction, 5. Putrescent Vitality, Warlord

+ Elites +

Deathshroud Terminators [11 PL, 180pts]
. . Deathshroud Champion: Manreaper, Plaguespurt gauntlets
. . 2x Deathshroud Terminator: 2x Manreaper, 2x Plaguespurt gauntlets

Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 170pts]
. . Left Arm: Combi-bolter, Hellforged deathclaw
. . Right Arm: Kheres assault cannon

+ Fast Attack +

Chaos Spawn [2 PL, 33pts]: Chaos Spawn

Foetid Bloat-drone [8 PL, 158pts]: 2x Plaguespitters, Plague probe

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [6 PL, 48pts]
. . 9x Chaos Cultist w/ autopistol and brutal assault weapon
. . Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Heavy stubber
. . Cultist Champion: Shotgun

Plague Marines [10 PL, 171pts]
. . Plague Champion: Plaguesword, Plasma gun, Power fist
. . 4x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
. . Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. . Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Plague Marines [10 PL, 174pts]
. . Plague Champion: Plaguesword, Plasma gun, Power fist
. . 4x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
. . Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Blight launcher
. . Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plague Spewer

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 120pts]: 20x Poxwalker

+ Heavy Support +

Plagueburst Crawler [8 PL, 152pts]: 2x Entropy cannon, Rothail volley gun

++ Total: [86 PL, 1491pts] ++

---

The field of battle!

Death on wings! The Aeldari sought to dominate the skies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...