Friday 18 May 2018

Missions - Only War

Welcome to the first in a series of posts where I take a look at the missions of 8th edition 40K. I'm starting off with a single mission - Only War. Only War is the introductory basic mission and one that is sadly ignored or forgotten by the majority of players it seems. I've never even seen this mission even discussed on internet forums or at my local club which is a real shame.

The purpose of Only War is to showcase the new edition rules without having to worry about complex mission additions. It is a simple roll to choose sides, and the winner picks half of the table to deploy in. It doesn't specify that half the table means the traditional across table deployment. You could choose table length or even the awkward corner to corner. You then deploy 12'' from the central line.

The mission specific rule involves placing two objective markers each and then rolling to see what you are doing with them.

1. Each marker is worth a set 2 points at the end of the game and has slay the warlord.

2. Randomly pick one and it becomes The Relic mission with the difference that the relic itself could be anywhere on the table rather than in the middle, making it potentially a lot harder for one player.

3. Each objective is worth 1 point at the end of your turn if you hold it.

Even though this mission is all about teaching the basics of the game, and the proper missions later on in the ruebook in a simple format, I have found that it is just as fun if not more so than the regular missions. My reason for saying so is that it makes a refreshing difference not having to worry about the secondary concerns of slay the warlord, line breaker and first blood all the time. You can just focus on the actual objective of the game, whatever you have rolled.

As I mention above, I never see this mission being discussed probably because players want a more complex gaming experience. It was September 2017 that I last played this mission (as of writing this post) and while I am trying to play the other missions for the experience I'd like to play this one more often I think.

If you have played it what did you think? And if you haven't what not give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crusade Battles catchup

 It's been a few weeks since I last updated and in that time I have played a further three Crusade games. I am really enjoying playing C...